Thursday, August 04, 2005

Our first full week

We are ending our first full week of school. It has been a little boring since we have little to do and school doesn't start for another 3 weeks. Today there were three students from America visiting my school, so I got to join the festivities. We played games, had a traditional tea ceremony, and watched a dance routine. Tomorrow we go to Hiroshima City for a conference/gathering held by JET.
-vicky
So the first week is over and it has been interesting at times, and boring at times. I only say boring because we don't start teaching until September, and we are required to be there right now with nothing to do. I study Japanese some, read the English newspaper some, ask if there is anything I can do a lot, and watch club activities. Club activities is what has made this week interesting. I've never seen a more dedicated school full of kids. They only can choose one club to be in so whether it is baseball, kendo, judo, basketball, etc. That is it. They work harder during their stretching drills than any high school team in America practices or maybe plays. The baseball team for example stretches and works out for at least an hour and a half before they even touch a glove, ball, or bat. And unlike American kids who would half ass it, or complain the whole time, these kids are giving it 100% out there in the 95 degree heat with unbelievable humidity. Not to mention they completely respect the game in every aspect and genuinely look as though they feel like they are the one is privileged to be practicing out there. I have a whole new respect for sports after watching them practice. And its not just baseball, its every sport I've watched. The most amazing part is when I see them out there all day right now practicing their butt off, and the coach is only there for about and hour or two max. It makes no difference in the effort or quality of practice if the coach is not there, I was completely amazed. Anyhow, you've read long enough, hope everyone is good back home and I hope you can even somewhat grasp through my writing the things I've seen. Love you all!
-Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home